Easy Eggnog Fudge Recipe


I have to admit I'm an eggnog-aholic. I watch the grocery shelves every year, waiting for the newest batch of eggnog to arrive. I've tried making my own, but somehow it isn't nearly as satisfying as scoring that first quart from the market. I hoard my often renewed stash, and savor every drop till after New Year's.

It's actually the nutmeg that makes eggnog taste so special. Lots of holiday recipes use nutmeg as one of many flavoring ingredients, but its mild flavor is often overwhelmed by more aggressive players like clove and allspice. In a glass of wonderful eggnog, nutmeg is the star. With the support of creamy dairy and egg (they make a nice trinity in all kinds of sweet and savory dishes), it's a match made in holiday heaven.

I say this because it takes a lot of goodness to get me to relinquish any of my precious eggnog to us as a mere ingredient in a recipe. Believe me when I say the eggnog fudge recipe below is that good. Think of capturing the fine flavor of eggnog and savoring it in something other than a drink (however tasty) that spends a brief moment on the tongue. Wrap your taste buds around a bite of perfect eggnog infused candy that's as creamy as custard and as sweet as Christmas morning. *Thank the nutmeg gods for whoever invented this one.



Easy Eggnog Fudge Recipe


Ingredients

1-1/2 cups white, granulated sugar
3/4 cup creamery eggnog (regular, not lite)
1/2 cup salted butter
12 oz. package white chocolate baking chips
7 ounce jar prepared marshmallow creme
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (Freshly grated is best because it imparts the most flavor.)
1 teaspoon rum extract (You can substitute 3 tbsp. light rum.)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions

Butter a square, 9-inch pan and set aside.

  1. Bring the sugar, eggnog and butter to a boil using a double boiler or heavy saucepan.
  2. Continue boiling until the mixture reaches 234°F on a candy thermometer,** stirring constantly. This should take about 8 minutes. 
  3. Remove from the heat and add white chocolate chips and nutmeg, stirring until the chips melt.
  4. Add marshmallow creme, rum extract (or rum) and pecans 
  5. Beat until incorporated.
  6. Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
  7. Cool.
  8. Cut into small squares.
  9. Store in your refrigerator, or freeze for up to a month.


Makes approx. 2 lbs.


*I came across this recipe years ago online and don't remember quite where. I've probably made a few changes, though. I always do. If you know the talented candy maker originally responsible for this recipe, please let me know and I'll credit the source.



**Scorching can be a problem if you aren't using a double boiler, so take the "stirring constantly" direction to heart.



Eggnog photo courtesy of Flickr user: Isaac Wedin https://www.flickr.com/photos/izik/3141194799/in/photolist

Fudge photo courtesy of Flickr user:  Sarah R   https://www.flickr.com/photos/reid-bee/16064774456/in/photolist

Comments