A Late Spring Saturday in the Garden

This late spring Saturday is pretty hectic around the old homestead. What with putting up floating row covers to foil squash beetles and keeping a keen eye out for Japanese beetles, not to mention the hordes of other insects that persist in behaving as though my precious acre is an all you can eat buffet, I'm tuckered before noon. The homemade bug sprays are working, but it's been raining almost every day, so my spray bottle and index finger are getting a workout.

I can't complain, though. Every day something new is happening. Vegetable flowers are opening and most of the herbs are finally fragrant and beginning to look worthy of a salad or marinade. Life is hectic -- but good.

If you have a few extra minutes, I've got a couple of site recommendations for you. When I'm not writing or weeding, I'm surfing the vastness of cyberspace for interesting herb tidbits and tips. My chive blossoms are up and heavy with dew every morning, and I was delighted when I discovered a Veggie Belly blog entry about turning them into a delicious tempura salad topping. Even if you're not planning on pulling out the fryer tonight, visit for the amazing photos: Chive Blossom Tempura Salad

When I pull out the lavender bath salts for a long soak in the tub, I like to take a book with me, and no one is more entertaining than Susan Wittig Albert and her China Bayles herbal mysteries. If you love herbs and enjoy a good read with wit and some mystery, give them a try. They're almost better than a cup of sassafras tea. You can visit her site at: About Thyme. While you're there, take a look around. There are fun herb recipes and other hidden gems on offer.

Speaking about recipes, as long as you're growing marigolds for your herbal insect sprays (You are, aren't you?) why not sprinkle a few petals on your side salad tonight? Your marigolds should be blooming shortly if they aren't already, and that pop of bright orange or yellow will give your greens a sunny spring makeover.

Comments

  1. I just recently discovered your blog and am so glad I did. What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann,

    Thanks for visiting! You're always welcome.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gardens are growing so fast right now, I can't keep up. I swear some plants are growing several inches per day.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne,

    I know what you mean! I think if I stand still long enough, I'll see them inching up.

    Thanks for visiting.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.